Saturday, April 7, 2012

Pecan Pie!

Our annual family Easter egg hunt is tomorrow at my GREAT grandmother's! Yes, my great grandmother is still alive and kicking! It's always a great time with great food of course!  We do it pot luck style so everyone brings a dish. I decided to try my hand at a pecan pie. Now I am not the biggest fan of this dessert because it is too sticky sweet for my tastes and can get runny and I have always found a way around actually making one. I probably would not have made one today except my grandmother asked me to. (Respect your elders - check)

So I searched through recipe after recipe until I found one I liked then added and subtracted as I saw fit. :)
I will share my final draft with y'all because this one is just too good not to share. Let me warn you up front though, there is NO KARO SYRUP!

I know, I know!! It isn't traditional pecan pie without it! It can't be good without it! You're out of your mind!
Just trust me. Try it and you will love it!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter (melted NOT scalding though)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup pecan halves
  • dash of cinnamon (optional)
  • deep dish pie crust (I used frozen)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . 
 
In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy then stir in melted butter.
They will double or triple in size. I was amazed! haha
 
Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well.
TIP: I put my dry ingredients in a separate bowl or measuring cup and mix them before adding them to my wet ingredients.
 
Last add the milk, vanilla, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Here's what it should look like before the pecans.
 
TIP: instead of chopping pecans I just threw them n the food processor for a bit and it worked beautifully.
 
Pour into an unbaked 9-in pie shell. 
 
Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees
After 10 minutes reduce temp to 300 and pull pie out to add decorative pecan halves. My fave design was two rings of pecan halves then chopped pecans in the center.
 
Put pie back in 300 degree over and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. 
 
There is my finished product!! The longer you let this pie cool, the easier it will be to cut slices.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment