Monday, April 16, 2012

Honey Cake!

At the farmer's market this weekend I picked up some great local honey from wildflowers. I am a sucker for baking and now I had a reason to try something new.


And so was born my HONEY CAKE!!
Thought I would share so y'all can enjoy the yummy goodness too!!


This cake is moist and spiced and has deep flavors. It isn't overly sweet but then neither is the wild honey I used. We drizzled a little honey over our individual slices and I think I may have slightly over filled my loaf pan. Or at least that's what I am blaming the little burnt edges on! :)

I am not sure how much this recipe will make in other pans but I made mine in two regular loaf pans and two small loaf pans. (I am sure 3 regular loaf pans would work too)

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup warm coffee or strong tea
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup whiskey

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Generously grease pans with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.

Make a well in the center, and add oil, honey, white sugar, brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee or tea, orange juice and whiskey

Using an electric mixer on slow speed, mix together well to make a thick, well-blended batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom.

Pour batter into prepared pans.

Place cake pans on two baking sheets, stacked together
(this will ensure the cakes bake properly with the bottom baking faster than the cake interior and top).

Bake until cake tests done, that is, it springs back when you gently touch the cake center or until toothpick comes out clean.

My mini loaf pans took 45 minutes
My large about 60 minutes

Let cake stand fifteen minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment