Monday, July 25, 2011

***Balance***

As some of you may know I have started myself a small business. I have been sewing and selling bags, purses, crayon rolls, aprons, etc. Now like every good business it needed a name. I went back and forth from things short and sweet to strange and attention grabbing. I wanted my business to be an extension of me and the name should capture that and also tip you off as to what types of products you may expect. After MUCH deliberation I decided on "Domestic Endeavors".

I am still in love with the name because it is appropriate for most everything that I would like to eventually include in my shop as well as the things I haven't thought up yet. Now, however, I realize it is appropriate for other aspects of my life as well. Being a stay at home mom allows me a lot of time to tend to quite a lot domestic endeavors whether it be rearranging furniture, trying to make homemade cleaners, or making one of my many lists that help to organize an otherwise chaotic world.

Today is one of those days where I woke up with a mission and will not rest until I have won it! My domestic duties seem to be multiplying but the time I have to do them certainly is not. I am sure I can't be the only person who feels this way. I say we need a plan! We need order! We need to take control of our day instead of letting our day take control of us! I say let's put our aprons on and command with authority!

First things first:
* get a pen and paper to outline your plan of action
HOUSEHOLD TAKE OVER (or whatever title you choose )
1. what would you like to get accomplished in a day or even a week?
     a. one (1) load of laundry a day to completion
          (I tend to fold and leave in a stack instead of putting them up - my guilty confession
     b. check emails, respond accordingly
     c. set something out for dinner and do necessary prep work
     d. sew for 4 hours
     e. balance checkbook
     f. read 2 chapters of my recent book purchase (currently The Help - Kathryn Stockett)
     g. Play with my son

I will build onto this list in the days to come but let's focus a moment, shall we?
This is just an example of things I would like to accomplish and I am sure some of you think it silly to include reading my book and playing with my son but why? Aren't they just as important? Yes, I know that these things may come naturally whether you put them on a list or not BUT how many times have you had a million things to do and in your efforts to accomplish everything you go without spending as much quality time with your children or spouse or even friends? Don't cover your eyes, It happens to the best of us!

Putting these types of items on your to do list give them importance, it reminds you that you need to take care of your soul as much as you do your chores.

This is my battle today! To do everything I need to do for my house as well as my home. To do the chores and to take the down time. I encourage you all to try and find that balance. To schedule time to shut down the computer, cell phone and whatever causes you constant distraction. TO FIND BALANCE.

When (not if) you decide the best way to balance your priorities please share your strategies. I am sure we would all love to celebrate your accomplishment with you and perhaps take a few notes from it ;)

For now I will go switch over the laundry and get some sandwich wraps sewn together!!

Lots of Love,
~Zang!

No comments:

Post a Comment